Sunday 12 June 2011

The sweetness of my bitter experience

Day three... am supposed to be relaxing by the poolside and wandering through Sigatoka on Fiji's coral coast. I should be sending you all postcards. But getting a postcard with the Skytower on it would be a little bit of a let down...

I am still in Auckland. After spending several agonising hours at the airport yesterday, again being told "another announcement will happen in an hour", I finally had my flight rebooked for tomorrow afternoon. So much for a holiday in Fiji. Fingers crossed the ash cloud wont delay things even further tomorrow.

This means I will no longer have any time on holiday in Fiji, and will get a connecting flight straight to Kiritimati Island tomorrow, to join up with the Sea Dragon crew at 6.30am on June 15.

To make matters worse, the retaining plate I have in my mouth (from when I had braces several years ago) snapped this morning. Joy. After ringing around several orthodontists in Auckland and having no luck, I finally got an appointment with my dentist this afternoon. This means a trip to Warkworth, 45mins north of Auckland.

The lovely flatmates of my girlfriend have offered to drive me up there, which is so sweet of them and I am very thankful. My parents and girlfriend have also both been so super helpful over the past few days.

My girlfriend and I had a lovely date at the airport yesterday, it was so romantic... sitting. watching people get on their flights. waiting. talking about nothing for hours. getting angry at airport staff. waiting some more. Oh it was a unique date, a one off.

Yes, having wonderful people in my life is definitely the sweetness to the bitter experience of the last few days.

2 comments:

  1. oooooh no. that sounds so fustrating han!!!! ill be crossing my fingers that that cloud stays away? which mountain is erupting, btw??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Ran =) oh its the Chilean one. I think it will be ok, got hold of the Pacific Airlines and they said everything is ok for tomorrow - and, upgraded me to business class. Haha.

    ReplyDelete